Purpose: Assess mobility and fall risk in older adults
Items Needed: Stable chair (with backrest preferred), stopwatch and tape/object to mark 3m distance.
How to do the test?
- Start the test in seated position and have a stopwatch ready.
- On the word "Go", begin timing and start walking towards the 3m mark at normal pace.
- Turn at the marker, walk back to the chair and sit down.
- Time stops once seated.
Take the test and see how you fare! Fill up the form below to get your results.
Tips from Active Health Coach
Incorporate these exercises in your daily routine to improve your core stability.
Grapevine: 3 sets of 10 repetitions
Perform the movement on a soft floor surfaces
- Stand straight and tall with your core engaged and your hands on your hips.
- Lift your left leg off the ground and over your right leg.
- Then move your right leg to your right side.
- Repeat the movement for a few more times.
- Change the direction by using your right leg to go over your left leg.
- Then move your left leg to the left side and repeat the movement.
Toe to Heel Walk: 3 sets of 10 repetitions
Perform the exercise near a wall for added safety.
- Stand straight with hand on your hips, and position one leg in front of the other.
- Position your heel right in front of the toes of the opposite foot each time you take a step.
- Ensure that your heels and the opposite toes actually touch as you walk forward.
Looking for more tips and recommendations to better your fitness and health? Join our e-Workshops that cover an array of topics such as physical activity, nutrition and sleep.